- Caches “No Images” and Errors (in addtion to images, of course)
- Separate cache times for all 3 cache types
- Greatly speeds up page loads which are slowed down by having to check the gravatar.com server (and removes a LOT of load from the gravatar.com server)
- NEW: Uses “fsockopen” so that ‘allow_url_fopen’ is not required to be On. Speeds up caching times by allowing a socket timeout of 10 seconds (configurable).
- Cron supported
- Unix-type “system cron” job can be used to have all cache refreshes performed by the server, without user interference
- Skippy’s “WP-Cron” can be used if a true system cron is not available (Gravatars2-WPCron updated for clean integration)
- “Local” and “Global” gravatars are cached in separate directories
- Cache management (refresh/delete) split out to “Management” tab
- Various other things which may or may not be noticeable to you, but are good
UPDATE v2.7.0: Local Gravatar Images no longer overwritten when someone submits a bad local image URL. Thanks to George Caswell for identifying the problem & solution.
UPDATE v2.6.2: Gravatar Cache Manage admin panel now links the md5 to the full gravatar.com query (including rating, size, & default gravatar). This should help people troubleshoot problems they may be having with their gravatar images.
UPDATE v2.6.1: Kludged a “fix” for the gravatar.com REST API not working. Default is to NOT use the REST API, but once it starts working, recommended to set it back to “Yes” in the options.
UPDATE v2.6.0: Cached images are never expired until a new valid image is received from gravatar.com. A “Load Saved Cache” option reloads images from the local filesystem into the cache (as long as they have not been deleted). This should help deal with gravatar.com server suckage.
Download the plugin here (available in both Unix gzip-tar & Windows zip packages):
View bottom of gravatars2.README for Change Log
Please read the Installation Instructions page to see how to set up Gravatars2 on your site.
QUESTIONS / FEEDBACK
If you have any questions, or want to give feedback, go to the Discussion & Support page.